As you are nearing the end of your orthodontic treatment you will be told by your orthodontist that you will be getting a retainer to wear when the braces are taken off. Now, your first reaction might me, “No more! Leave me alone!” Well, we understand. You’ve just gone through a period of your life when you’ve had to deal with pain, discomfort, extra responsibilities of keeping your braces clean and when you’ve had to sacrifice some of your favorite things in life, such as chips, popcorn, and bubblegum. It’s natural that you want to be left in peace. Here are some reasons you should wear your retainer as your orthodontists instructs you.
- You deserve to enjoy the results of your braces for decades to come, not just years.
- Your teeth can still move back to where they were before you had braces and you’d have to go through the whole process.
- If you are a teenager, your face is still growing and your teeth will be under extra pressure to move. Wearing your retainer as instructed will keep your teeth where they are.
- If you are no longer a teenager, you may be surprised to learn that your face continues to move, grow and shift until you are 50 years old! Your teeth want to move forward and a retainer will keep them in place.
- Wearing your retainer gives your roots a chance to become set in their new positions.
If you have any more questions about your retainer, don’t hesitate to call your orthodontist.