Newton Centre Family Orthodontics and our orthodontics Dr. Brian Miller, has offices in Newton and Concord MA for your convenience. We offer high-quality, family-friendly orthodontics, including braces of all types and Invisalign. Today we are going to discuss the benefits of dentofacial orthopedics.
What is Dentofacial Orthopedics?
- While orthodontics involves the movement of teeth to more correctly align the bite, there is more to consider than just the tooth alignment.
- When a person has a jaw that sits far behind, far in front of the upper jaw, or a very narrow jaw, the facial bone structure as a whole need to be considered.
- Dentofacial orthopedics is the guidance of facial bone growth so the jaw is in a better place.
- This alignment normally takes place in childhood.
- When dentofacial orthopedics are used to treat adults, surgery may be involved.
- About 20% of dentists are dental specialists.
- There are 9 specialities orthodontists you can choose from.
- According to the ADA, “specialties are recognized in those areas where advanced knowledge and skills are essential to maintain or restore oral health.”
How is it done?
- It usually involves appliances to guide the bones during the years of facial bone growth.
- These can include braces, but also headgear and expanders.
- Many people are unaware that they are receiving this treatment, since headgears are somewhat common place.
Results to Expect
- Depending on what the original diagnoses was, the upper jaw can be wider or the lower jaw (and thus the chin) can be brought forward.
- Some actions may be taken to give the tongue adequate room, thus alleviating any possible sleep apnea issues due to tongue obstruction.
Be sure to ask your Newton Center Orthodontist about this treatment. Call (617) 600-6413 for our Newton Centre office or (978)218-2580 for our Concord office.