How to Care for your Retainer
When you’ve been told to wear a retainer by your orthodontist, it is important to wear it just as instructed and to keep it safe and clean. Below you’ll find our top tips for caring for your retainer. If you have more questions, call your orthodontist at Newton Town Centre Orthodontics.
Keep it Safe
- Because your retainer smells like you, your dog or cat will be drawn to it. Don’t let your retainer become an expensive chew toy! Don’t leave it on your nightstand or anywhere your pet can reach it.
- If you are sleeping somewhere other than home, be sure to transport it in its case and not just thrown into your toilet kit.
- Don’t put it in your pocket or throw it in your purse if you need to eat. Carry the container for it with you.
- Don’t fold it in a napkin while you eat. Countless retainers have been lost that way.
Keep it Clean
- Designate a toothbrush for cleaning your retainer. Make sure it’s a soft toothbrush and that is used only for your retainer.
- Don’t use toothpaste. Toothpaste contains abrasive ingredients that work for cleaning your teeth but will scratch your retainer.
- Use diluted white vinegar and soak your retainer for 15 minutes and rinse it off.
- Twice a year you can dilute 1 teaspoon of bleach in 8 oz of water and soak your retainer in it for 5 minutes. Don’t do this too often or it can damage the retainer.
- Clean the retainer container weekly. You can rinse it with hot water and use diluted bleach.
- Never use boiling water or mouthwash to clean your retainer. Boiling water will warp them and mouthwash will dry them out and discolor it.
If you have any more questions about taking care of your retainer, call your orthodontist at Newton Centre Family Orthodontics.